We all use apps, be it to look at our bank account, surf the internet or see what’s new on social media. There is no denying, though, that certain apps are more successful than others. With more than 1 million apps currently available in the major app stores, that’s a considerable amount of competition.
If you’re considering building a successful app, here are the top ten must-have features you should consider.
- Search feature – For an improved customer experience, you need to allow users to search and find the content they need. There’s nothing wrong with having lots of information as long as the user can find what it is they are after.
- Social sharing – Gone are the days of social media being used for selfies and cute animal videos. The various platforms are now being used for communication and social sharing. This must be easy to do from the app.
- Push notifications – Push notifications are a great way to get a message across with a limited amount of words. It can be a gentle reminder that can remind a customer that they are yet to checkout. However, push notifications should only be used sparingly. Too many, you people will disable them completely.
- Responsive design – To be effective, an app has to be able to work across a range of screen sizes. A responsive design is imperative for this to happen. What’s more, the text, images and layout must also work for all mobile devices, as there is nothing worse than having incoherent text.
- Simple to use – Make an app too complicated to use, and nobody will want to spend the time learning how to use it. Apps that are user-friendly and simple to use will be more successful.
- Cross-platform development – Apple used to hold a majority share of the consumer market, but this is no longer the case. Apps have to be developed for both Apple and Android, or you risk alienating a large section of your market.
- Security – There are certain apps where security is of paramount importance. Mobile device management, financial services and health care are just a couple of examples. Specialized apps need to have the best security as there is likely to be an amount of confidential information.
- Offline mode – While the internet is generally accessible around the world, there are places where it’s a little ropey to say the least. It’s a good idea for an app to be functional when there’s no internet connection.
- Effective communication – It’s beneficial if an app has a means of communication, whether a user wants to make suggestions, rate the app or leave a review.
- Regular updates – To keep an audience interested, there have to be regular updates and ongoing development of the app. Information on the app should be relevant and up-to-date. Apps that regularly update with fixes and offer new features are more likely to survive.
Apps are being used more and more by business both big and small. Consumers love using them, so it makes sense to take advantage. Improving the customers experience is important if you want to achieve any kind of success and providing them with an app to use is a smart move to make.